Monday 20 June 2011

Sewalong Palooza Post 1


Morning lovely sewalongers! Today is the big day! This is post numero uno for the Lisette top.
Today were going to be cutting our fabrics!
If you haven't visited the Flickr group already here is the fabrics I'm using for the Tunic version C. This is a plain plum coloured cotton and the contrast is some minty coloured cotton with white polka dots.
This is a great project to use up scraps! The minty one was suposed to be a simplicity dress in the early days that has long since been living in a bin somewhere. It was rubbish! But this was in the scrap box and is perfect for the contrast pieces.

Now to all those who are beginners, some of you worried that you wouldn't be able to do this pattern. You totally can. View E consists of 6 pieces and View C not many more so be brave and we'll guide you through it!

Ok on to the cutting! I am making View C at the moment which is the longer tunic with the frilly long sleeves. I'm not actually crazy about the frills, If your not either, leave them off!
So when you open up your envelope and have cut the size you require, look at the Cutting Layouts and they will tell you what number each pattern piece is.
The contrast pieces are written in a separate box underneath the shell fabric layout. Here I've separated the shell pieces and put them with my fabric so I don't forget which pieces I cut for the shell and which I cut for the contrast.

*If you want to make any adjustments. Make sure you do them before this step. For ease and for the beginners, I am not making any adjustments to this pattern as it fit me pretty well out of the packet. It is always good to check your measurements against the pattern pieces though just in case!
Now your ready to cut out!
Lay your pattern pieces onto your fabric. Use the fold where you see the two attached arrows on an edge.
Make sure you refer to your cutting layout to show you where each piece goes.
I haven't got a cutting table at the moment so I do all of my cutting on a board on the floor.
I pin pieces individually or as many as will fit on the board at a time and cut in blocks.
This is fine as long as you make sure you follow the layout and check your fabric is the correct length the pattern requires. I also use my pattern weights. Mine are just washers wrapped in fabric. But before I had them I used low flat tins like the ones Tuna comes in,
Repeat the cutting process with your contrast pieces and don't forget those arrows!
Thats your job done today! Tomorrow we will tackle interfacing and pattern markings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say!
Please feel free to leave me a comment...